Teresa and Hubby

I am really loving facebook! Its been a fun way to reconnect with people from my past and present and keep up with eachother( other than blogs J). Case in point- my best childhood friend- Teresa. She found me on facebook and it was so great catching up. We haven’t spoken to eachother for years and when we finally did talk and catch up on the phone last week, it was like walking down memory lane.
Teresa and I grew up on the same street in Cameron Park. When I wasn’t at the gym it seems all my waking hours were spent with this girl until we moved to Shingle Springs. This was the girl that I built forts with, rode our bikes around town, to the local Mormon church to ride down stairs and hop curbs. Our parents let us go anywhere our bikes could take us be that around the block or down Cameron Park Drive( OMG really? I cant believe that they did- think Highland Drive in SLC for comparisons…ek!) We were inseparable. In the summers we LIVED at eachothers houses and in eachothers pools. I cant think of any time NOT spent with Teresa. I went to church with her on occasion, went to church camp with her. She was the other half of my “tomboy” girlhood. And believe me, finding another girl that would rather climb trees and be adventurous was so great- I never was a dress up or play with dolls kinda girl.
Not only did we have tons of fun, but we got into lots of trouble too. One instance there was a piece of property next to our house that was sold and the new neighbors decided to start building. Well THIS didn’t sit well with Teresa or I, after all, we had spent many hours cutting down the Manzanita trees and building the coolest of forts. So we decided that we would get back at these folks for heaven forbid- building a house on their property! Lol. Once they poured the cement to house we walked around in it, put our hand prints in it etc. We thought we were pretty cool. Well this instance was my first REAL experience in LYING! The neighbors came over to my house asked my parents if I had done it and my dad confronted me at the dinner table. I of course lied about it doing it. Repeatedly. It wasn’t that I wasn’t willing to tell the truth, but being confronted publicly about it was humiliating. It was a lesson Ill never forget. Never confront a child- or anyone about something they’ve done in front of others. Anyway I kept denying it and my parents took me over to the property and put my hands down on the handprints in the cement- surprise! They matched! So I confessed. And I got grounded from playing with Teresa for a while.
The other thing that I remember clear as day was when we got in trouble for sneaking out of the house. Oh we did this often during our many sleep overs. We never did anything bad, we just walked around etc the neighborhood, on one occasion (ok maybe two) we did some tee peeing(sp?)..anyway no big deal. We were always out and about. Well we got dressed in our black attire, snuck out of her house and went about our business. When we got back to her house later on, all the doors had been locked including the windows and we weren’t able to get back into the house. So thinking we wouldn’t make much noise, went over to her younger sisters window and tapped lightly on it hoping she would wake up and let us in. Well we woke her up alright, but she thought we were burglars! She got her parents up, and boy were we in trouble. I remember Teresa being so mad at Christy for not looking to see who it was first. That was another time we were grounded from hanging out. However when my parents moved -Teresa and I didn’t see eachother much after that. I went to another middle school and we kinda drifted apart. We connected again during high school, but unless you are in the same classes or have the same lunch you didn’t see one another-this was the case with us.
Anyway all through high school we were friends but not as close as we were as kids. However she meant a great deal to me and I have often wondered what happened and what she was up to. Come to find out shes been married to a great guy now for about 5 years, just started nursing school and lives near our home town. Her son just started high school and shes doing fantastic. Who knows if we will see each other again, all I know is I am so glad she contacted me, and its great shes doing so well.
1 comment:
so cool I remember a lot of that stuff and had fun with Christy myself. I knew immediately who that was, she has very distinct eyes. Fun to see a pict of her now
Post a Comment