Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Food Bank

Okay, if anyone knows me I love to help others - I wish I could dedicate my life to charitable endeavors, but for some reason I was born to a middle class family- not the rockefellers...LOL---So I do what I can where I can. Being in my role at work, I am part of a small HR team that plans for company events, and decides what we do each year to help out during the holidays. We have a food drvie, and toys for tots...thats a given, but this year it seemed like we should do more. So we decided to offer our services to the food bank and got a group together and donated some time. We went for just a couple of hours but what a great few hours it was.

Now you really cant tell from these pictures how big these containers of food were, but we went through TWO of them during our time there. Our jobs were to go through these bins, and separate the food out into smaller boxes. Ie: canned meats, baby food, pasta, cereal, canned veggies, drinks, baking items etc etc.

Each box had a weight limit depending on what types of food you were packing..so once you think you reached the weight limit you had to weigh the boxes then pack them up and place them on the palate next to the table. Over and over and over again...

One of the cans of split pea soup from the above container exploded. The rancid pea soup was all over hundreds of cans....as I was pulling cans out of the container, I had to use paper towels to clean off the cans before we could sort them....it was a very messy and disgusting process ek!

Here is our group of great co-workers!

See the completed boxes??!! It was a great day of service and it was amazing to feel like what I was doing was helping. I guess the food bank( as many others across the country) are needing volunteers of all kinds...to help deliver food to home bound seniors, to help sort the food like we did, to help host food drives, and so on.
I have to say that even though it was just few hours of my time, it made me reflect on how blessed we are---and how grateful I am for ALL that I have.....

1 comment:

garian said...

What a great way to help out. I'm sure you guys were much needed!

Elijiah

Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage

Noel

Noel

Tristan

Tristan

Jett

Jett