Monday, December 8, 2008

Conversations with Elijiah

As usual the car ride to school with Elijiah is filled with questions, conversations about life and today didnt disappoint. Today we talked of memories. He was curious to what Tristan was thinking, what he dreams of, and what he is "saying" when he talks. He discussed his earliest memories: watching nascar on TV when he loved his matchbox cars, riding his bike around the condo parking loop, trips to canada. He doesnt remember his dad and I together, nor the few months after the divorce when I moved in with my friend Pati, and thats ok. It used to bother me that he didnt remember anything while his dad and I were married. But not anymore. He made a comment in the kitchen the other night (much like many other times) that he wishes we werent divorced. Oh I know this going back and forth is hard on him, but instead of sympathizing with him, I turned what looks like a negative into a positive. I mentioned that I know its hard, but he has a wonderful family with Jonathan now. How he has a safe, warm, loving home with both of us that love him. He has a brother that adores him and he agreed. He likes Jonathan he said. Elijiah came into the bathroom while I was in the shower the other night- just to talk. These are the moments with him that make it all worth it. These simple moments where Ive created a relationship with him that I know is strong, based on trust and that he can talk to me about anything. I asked him what he wanted to talk about and he immediately said: his girlfriend. Mia is in his class with him and is a darling little girl. I understand this is a secret at school between the two of them and I think that is sweet. He doesnt want me telling his dad or anyone else for that matter, and I agreed. ( this blog doesnt count- and family that reads this---DO NOT mention this to him!!! Again this blog is for us- for me so I can remember the cute things my kids do etc) There are things that I feel if Elijiah doesnt want me sharing with others- I can respect that. Afterall I hope that as he gets older he will still want to sit down, talk and share about his life, how he feels and know that I will keep his confidences. As I dropped him off at school after having the conversation of what our earliest memories were and what we are looking forward to this year, he reached over gave me a big kiss, kissed Tristan goodbye and got out of the car. He turned and waved before he got to the gym door and yelled" have a great day MOM!"....I was again reminded that its truly the simple things in life that make me happy.

No comments:

Elijiah

Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage

Noel

Noel

Tristan

Tristan

Jett

Jett