Saturday was a crazy day in preparation for Fathers day. I took Elijiah to swimming lessons and on the way home did some grocery shopping. Tristan started to cry as he was tired, so I was racing through the store checking items off my list and getting more frustrated by the minute. As I was going down the Frozen Food isle for juice, I saw a woman in a wheel cart trying to open the doors to get some frozen dinners. She was struggling with the heavy doors and couldnt stand up, and as most of us would-- I offered to help. She declined and I offered again, only this time going over directly to her and opening the door and asked her what selection she was wanting. She told me and thanked me for the help and made a comment on my kids and engaged me in conversation. After we exchanged pleasantries we hurried off in the opposite direction and I forgot all about it. A couple of minutes later, Elijiah said..." Mom you're a very helpful person." I looked at him withall my frustration of a screaming child and a clingy 5 yr old shopping with me and decided to use that moment as a teaching moment. I explained that it was everyones duty to be as helpful as possible to others. How we should look for ways to serve others as much as we can even with small things. That Heavenly Father would be especially proud of him should he look for ways to be kind to people and help them anyway he can. Elijiah thought on that for a moment and agreed.
I ran across this quote today and I wanted to share:
"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.- Mark Twain"
I hope that even in the midst of my busy life I can continue to find teachable moments to my kids. I realize more than ever--- that I will never have ample time on my hands to do all that I wish with my children. It was a great example to me that we are never to busy to help out or teach whats important.
1 comment:
Love it, Amber. Thanks for sharing that experience.
Post a Comment