Cory is pretty amazing. Hes a fantastic skater, scholar, friend, brother, photog, and well just about anything he does he excels. Ive noticed being the youngest of 5 and the only boy at that...he has been a tad spoiled and also the quiet one anytime four older sisters are around. Who can blame him? We all do tend to vie for the attention. Sunday I took the boys to my moms house to swim and Cory was there. He will be leaving for his mission in a few months and I have noticed a big change in him. He suddenly cares. Not that he didnt really before, but I think the reality of leaving home has hit him, he is coming around the family more, wanting to be involved and talk about stuff. Last night was the first time I have really talked with him about the big things..... About our parents, divorce, my divorce, kids, marriage...some of it was heavy. I always thought it was odd, me being the oldest, him the youngest. It was like we grew up on separate planets and with different families...our experiences being so different. I think I gave Cory a perspective that he never knew existed let alone situations that he probably thought happened to other families--- thats how sheltered this kid has been( disclaimer: we all wanted him to be). I think he took everything in stride, but I hope that he has a fuller appreciation of all the things that have made us "us". There is a fine line between protecting someone and letting them live in a bubble. I thought it was time to tell him certain things and Im glad I did. I'm grateful for him - grateful that he is growing up, and that he and I can start having a friendship thats more on an even plane. He will always be my little brother, but at least now I think he is someone that I can share things with and I hope the feeling is reciprocated.
No comments:
Post a Comment