Friday, February 1, 2008
Relief Society fireside
Last night I was invited by my good friend Pati to a stake relief society event. Sister Sheri Dew was speaking- as the first NON married women to be called to the general relief society presidency from 1997-2002 she stood out for me as a woman I was interested in even years ago. While I dont always agree with chruch policy or stance on every issue, Sheri is amazing. It was incredible to hear her and Sister Nelson speak. They discussed our President Hinckley a bit, the role of women, and to be honest it was truely touching...for the first time in a long time when discussing the role of a latter day women in the church today I wasnt offended. Sister Sheri Dew was specific in talking about when Women of history, or of countries today are nuetralized--- its interesting to see the breakdown of not only government but of society. That our place is to strengthen our communities, nations and homes. I feel so strongly about this myself. Especially now being divorced and having little "control" over what happens in Khorys home. I want to go above and beyond teaching Elijiah correct principals and gospel teachings. I want to learn more, be a better teacher for my children and inspire them to live closer to God. She said a very profound thing-- that today we only know so much about the gospel to make us feel guilty- but not enough to make us feel joy. How true this has been for me. I felt incredibly uplifted by her message of hope, how I can better be preparing not only myself but my family and how I must not stop growing personally. I may not be ready to jump aboard the whole thing yet...and only Jonathan knows these types of details, but I am wanting to be better. Just a little bit everyday...to stand a little taller as President Hinckely says, and I know the rest will follow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage
Noel
Tristan
Jett
2 comments:
Good thoughts Amber. Let me know if you find out good ways to incorporate those positive things into Elijiah's world:)
Thanks for that. I needed that today! I have always loved Sheri Dew. She has a way of making everyone feel hopeful and positive.
Jay
Post a Comment