Saturday, April 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Tristan



***Just a couple of pictures- lots more to follow I promise!!!***
So the stats:
Tristan Elias Bechtold
Born April 4, 2008 @ 2:54am
8lbs 4 oz
21 inches

The story:
Well as many of you know my worst nightmare did actually come true for the labor and delivery. However I am home now and while not something I want to do again(natural childbirth), it was worth every minute to have our little man here!....

I was supposed to be induced Friday morning April 4. But all day Thursday at work I wasnt feeling well so I left early. Took Elijiah to soccer practice and came home- did the normal bedtime routine and went to bed around 9. Jonathan came home from class at around 10 and I was still awake. I had just a couple of contractions here and there--nothing to painful or long just enough to make it so I couldnt fall asleep. As another hour went by, they werent going away, but neither did they get much more intense and they were only lasting about 10 seconds or so. Around midnight I called Khory and let him know that either way, being induced the next morning I should probably get Elijiah to him as contractions were still happening and who knows what was going to take place. In hindsight it would have been smart to head to the hospital then, however my contractions still werent that big of a deal( or so I thought ) As Jonathan dropped Elijiah off, I called the hospital and let them know that I was having contractions about every 5-6 minutes but they were still about 15-30 seconds in length. The nurse said that they wouldnt suggest me coming down until they were 60-90 seconds in duration, but if I did they wouldnt turn me away as I was due to come in the morning anyway. Well after that call, I decided to wait just a little while longer, take a bath and go from there. About 1:30am or so my contractions were 3 minutes apart and around 45 seconds long, and I thought it was time to go. We got things together and were in the car by 1:45am. By now I was really worried. My contractions were about 1-2 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute. As we RACED down the freeway to Provo, our normal 45 - 50 minute drive took Jonathan 30 minutes. As we passed IHC hospital close to us, I kept thinking perhaps we shouldnt drive down, just go to the nearest hospital...but again I thought NO- plenty of time, it cant happen this quick. I made the comment to Jonathan, "Im sure its too late for the epidural" and he of course was trying to be encouraging and said it will be ok. We will get there in time for the epidural.
The ride was miserable...I was hardly out of pain for a second and on my mind was "dont have this baby in the car!!" We get to the hospital, Jonathan races to get the wheelchair, and Im in so much pain I can hardly move. We get to Labor and Delivery and here is where things get fuzzy. I remember checking in and the nurse rushing through questions, Im in hard labor now and just wanting to get the pain meds. She quickly gets us to the room and tells me to get undressed...Im barely able to stand. Within a minute of getting on the bed and the nurse checking me my water breaks, and she tells me Im at an 8. I beg for the epidural and they page the doctor. I see a rush of activity around me, nursing staff running around calling for my OB as he is on call in the hospital. The doctor comes in to give me the epidural and I can tell its too late..as soon as I am on my side I need to push. However the OB is still not there and I cant move...Jonathan later tells me that he had to pick me up and put me back on my back so they could get me in position. I am literally so scared as this is happening so fast, I cant breath right, Im screaming in pain and it felt all wrong. This was not what I planned, expected or wanted. I didnt know if I could do it, the pain was the worst I have ever experienced and technically it was just beginning. I am starting to push, and the nurses tell me not to as the Doctor was still not there. Finally he walks in and says to push...Now of course all you women out there that have done this naturally - I applaud you. Hands down this is the worst pain in the history of man kind. I dont know why anyone would CHOOSE to do this. REALLY. So Tristan comes out after a few pushes. However I must say, that never did I feel ok, get focused on anything but Jonathan or the lights above. I offered a hopeful prayer that I would make it as I have never felt more panicked by any experience...I really dont think I could have done it without my hubby. He kept me from oblivion by his calming voice, letting me pierce his hands with my nails( sorry! ) and say things I never thought I would say- poor nurses!
From the moment we arrived in the hospital entrance to the time our boy was born, it was a half hour. I am grateful that the time in pain was so quick, that was a blessing in itself. I cant imagine doing that for hours or having trouble during the birth itself feeling every thing that I did. I wish I was like some women who say its not that bad, or feel euphoria afterwards. Yes it was good not to be so numb for a while afterward, or be able to get up and walk around- but never will I want to experience a natural birth again. I cannot truely explain here how I was feeling, how scared I was and how panicked everyone around seemed to be....I am just incredibly grateful things turned out ok in the end.....
All in all we are doing great. I feel really well, Tristan is my new love, and its amazing. The ability of the heart to expand so quickly and so completely for another human. My boys are my everything and Tristan - well words just cant describe the amount of love I have for him. I am already mourning the passing of each day as it is one less day that I will have him just to myself. These next 6 weeks will pass all to quickly and I will have to adjust with returning to work-- A day that I will not think about till then. I will enjoy my time, savor and drink up his amazing presence and be stingy with anyone taking him from me( and Jonathan ) during my maternity leave.

6 comments:

Benjamin said...

Nolan was 2 hours start to finish..all natural..the worst part was the shoulders..lol HAppy Birthday Tristan!!

The Gordon Clan said...

Congratulations you guys!!! He is so cute! I can't believe how crazy things turned out, you are a strong woman. (And I'm there with you on never wanting to do that.) Enjoy your sweet new baby!

Monica said...

OH... he is adorable! I hear ya on the wanting to stop at the closer hospital! We passed right by St. Marks on our way to LDS. That was a miserable ride! My contractions with D went from 0 to every 2 minutes. I never had the every 10 minutes. UGH! Anyone who chooses to do it natural - certifiable. Just my opinion tho! :)

Casey said...

Congratulations! Tristan is so gorgeous--and I have never seen a more beautiful Mom just after giving birth! He is getting great genes:)

Daisy Paige said...

Amber, you make me laugh! My experience was a painful 4-hour active labor, but the actual delivery wasn't painful at all - just incredible! Having done both ways now, I will *always* choose natural labor and delivery over having an epidural.

But I'm so glad he's here and you guys are healthy and safe! What a wild ride!

Jessica R. said...

Just wow. I can't even fathom how terrifying that must have been. I am so very glad that you got there in time. I have a friend who made it to the hospital and gave birth in the parking lot, on a gurney, with the nurses, but still, in the parking lot!

Elijiah

Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage

Noel

Noel

Tristan

Tristan

Jett

Jett