Ok, after I posted my last post, I decided to do some looking for Running blogs, articles on the web etc. I came across a woman of two boys and her love of running. Her husband feels the same way...: SEE POST:
It is difficult for me to put into words what running means and has meant in my life. Mostly, I avoid talking about it much since I seem to be incapable of doing it justice. It all comes out sounding cheesy and cliche and romanticized.
That said, let me give it a try by talking specifically about running and marriage.
Brett and I met while we were both living in MinneSOATah. At the time, Brett was training for the IronMan triathlon, and I was training for a marathon while competing in various smaller triathlons around the state. I was impressed by Brett's ambition to do IronMan, but his immediate reaction was, "well, why aren't YOU doing it?" And so I did. We started running and biking together and literally became best friends out on the road. One of our first "dates" was when Brett helped me pick out my first racing bike. I was already head over heels in love with him, but he wouldn't know that for at least another-- I don't know-- 12 hours or so.
The summer after we got married, we swam and biked and ran until our hearts content and our stomachs churned. We got up together at 4am every Sunday to bike 80-100 miles and then run. We would return home in the afternoon with blisters and sunburn and throbbing headaches; we would pull the shades, eat pounds of salted noodles, and watch hours of television. That fall, we both finished IronMan Wisconsin.
Running for me is as much a part of my life as sleeping and eating and reading stories to my boys. I started running when I was 12 and really haven't ever stopped. I was lucky to have parents who encouraged it, and I plan on interviewing my Dad on the subject soon (get ready, Dad!). Running gave me confidence as a teenager, it gave me focus and direction when I really needed it, it carried me through tough times, it brought me close to some of my very best friends, and it forged my relationship with my spouse. You might think I'm reaching here, dramatizing this one element of my life. But to me, it really has been this important. Really.
her father wrote this back:
*******************************
You may interview me anytime on the subject of running. You cannot know how happy it makes me that I have passed this passion on to you. For me it is the central point around my life philosophy of Carpe Diem, which you grew up with. The run is the seed activity from which much of the day's ideas and energy rise. Your passion for running was already in you - I just helped you find it. You have done the hard part - nurturing it, doing the work and effort to develop and mature it. You and Brett are passing this wonderful gift onto your kids.
*********************************
Because I feel a powerful inclination to stay in shape largely influenced by my mothers example, I want to share my thoughts about why this is so...
Both my parents were very athletic...my father played college soccer and tennis was a great love, he was very competitive and enjoyed biking as well. My mother started her exercise after she had my sis Raegan and it became a constant love of hers. While my dads fitness has been hit and miss largely I believe because of his work and travel, my mothers has been a source of keeping her sane with 5 kids and also a way to mentally stay healthy and look the way she does.
Both my parents encouraged each of us kids to develop our own talents and interests, but I will admit because my mother has maintained a healthy lifestyle at times we Devenney girls can become obsessive about our weight( ok dancing and modeling helped with that for me too...)But I truly believe my mother just wants us to develop healthy habits...
Anyway back to my running.
It started as a way to loose weight as a teenager when I began modeling. I wasnt doing competitive gymnastics anymore, or dancing so I needed some regular exercise. My mom always ran with the dogs and so I started to join on occassion. Running for me was not something I came to love. I hated running from the get go. I never could carry a conversation while running even in my best shape. I always puffed and panted like I was going to die. It was hard work. I felt better after doing it but it was a chore every time. This continues to this day. HOWEVER- there are days when I feel light, and could run forever days that my mental state is clearly improved by my time outdoors. I see and have seen a change in body type, or muscles develop and toning occur when im consistant. I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself and reaping the rewards of hard work...and yes running to me is hard. I do it not because I love to run, but how it makes me feel. I like that I too am showing my kids the importance of staying in shape, both physically and mentally. Ive been able to keep up running when all other ways of working out faded away( yoga, kickboxing etc) Keeva was my excuse to get out of the house or the kick in the pants to get me outdoors...some of my fondest memories of Elijiah are in the jogging stroller and spending this time together- hearing him talk, babble to himself, point out things along the way...my life has been defined by my cycles of running. While I was single I ran almost everyday for 6 months with Elijiah or without. I felt strong, healthy, capable, loved how I looked- I could eat anything I wanted and didnt worry about it, I was happy and generally looked forward to my runs. Then I hurt my knee. I dont know if its because I was running too much, not on good shoes or whatever....but everyday I would start out running and within 50 feet have to walk. I became angry and resentful that my body was betraying me. I continued to workout however be that on the treadmill or bike to stay fit, but my inability to run was a sore spot- depressing for me. It was the first time I could somewhat relate to anothers inability to function. I wondered if I would ever experience what I had taken for granted in the past. This is why I am determined to start running again after the baby is born. I have been easy on my knee, given it rest. I need to regain this sense of self again, the stress reliever that gets me outside and in the sun. While Im not or will never be a die hard runner in the sense of loving it, I love how it makes me feel.
No comments:
Post a Comment