Monday night came and with it my trip to Planned Parenthood. This weeks topic was communication, what to say to your kids how to say it. We did role playing with specific topics how we would respond etc. It was again a great night. Some tips that I got....
When your kids ask a question if you are caught off gaurd or need a minute, say : You know thats a great question, Im not sure let me get some information together and we will talk about it _____. Or MMM great question! Let me think for a minute?
If your child asks a question clarify what they mean...this was one role play discussion: My friend Bobbie at school got in trouble for kissing a girl. Why?
Turn that question, or any question they ask around....and say" Well why do you think that he got in trouble?" It opens the dialog up and you can take if from there...also same goes for " How babies are made?" Well---how do you think they are made?" You can find out at what level they are thinking or what information they know, if its correct or not.
The thrid step, is to make sure you are answering the question in an age appropriate way, and using information that is consistant with your own values but gives them correct and direct answers.
And finally clarify that the child understands. We often talk "over" our kids( young kids) heads and they might not understand everything we say. So ask.
Anyway when I came home and went down to Elijiah and he was still awake waiting for me to come home. He had lots of questions, about why I need parenting classes that Im a good parent( ah that was nice) and that he doesnt like me going on his nights somewhere- that its his night with me, and we dont see eachother enough. (Point taken little one....no more scheduling things on my nights with Elijiah- I miss him a ton too.)
I told him I would do my best tho.
No comments:
Post a Comment