Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Great Read...

Im almost embarrassed to say that I just now started to read this book. Its been over ten years since this was published. However I finished my latest edition of a beach read( what I call fiction ) and I was getting annoyed at the lack of brain power it was taking to get through the books of late. My book club long since dissolved and with it, all decent books...I also havent had a lot of energy to read since Tristan was born. The lack of sleep was too much to even contemplate even picking something up at the end of the day- all I wanted once everything was done at the end of the night was to crawl into bed and get some shut eye. I have to admit even my church magazine subscription lapsed and I hardly noticed. Well my Mom has in the office several great church books and I got re-energized after this last conference session. I think I mentioned on the blog several posts ago that I need to refocus some energy on me again. And part of that, is to put some of that energy in my reading-- in more spiritual and uplifting materials. I loved President Hinckley..and I decided to learn more about the man that he was. This book has been so wonderful for me. Let me back track for just a moment. About a year or so ago- or perhaps a little over a year ago as I was still pregnant, my good friend Pati invited me to a stake relief society event where Sheri Dew was speaking. I gladly went. She talked that evening on many subjects..working at the church office building in her official capacity, her trials of being unmarried, childless, her testimony, callings in the church, but talked a bit about the undertaking of this book....the writing of it and its challenges, but also what it was like to work along side our Prophet at the time, and how it affected her, changed her. We laughed, we cried...I was filled with the spirit of the gospel. I dont know why I didnt go home right then and order the book and read it. I dont know why I picked it up now....but I do know one thing. I am learning many things from it that I need to know. I am finding strength from it, wishing it was my own copy so I could highlight many passages out of it as its filled with wisdom and great insights to work, and gospel principals. Having worked at the Church offices its funny to see how far things have come from when President Hinckley worked there-- till now..and how much he was responsible for what it is. I am enjoying the fact that what I am reading is lending itself to positive thoughts, feelings, and leaving me inspired. Im feeling better and grateful to the course Im getting back on. Why do we as mothers forget about ourselves? We loose oursevles in the love of our families and children..and even when its as little as reading a good book- its a great reminder to take a few minutes just for us. Just another reminder to self. I love a good book.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What an uplifting post! I think I have this book . . . maybe I should pick it up!

Elijiah

Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage

Noel

Noel

Tristan

Tristan

Jett

Jett