Okay everyone bare with me, this will be a long post. It all started with a innocent email from a friend of mine. Tia. She and I served in the relief society together several wards back and I knew she was an amazing dancer. We talked dance alot and I never took the opportunity to see her perform or take class from her as at the time I was knee deep in other activities. Although I always mentioned to her that I wanted to start taking classes again - someday. Well yesterday she sent out an email saying she was offering a free hip hop class to anyone interested Monday night at 9 pm. Without thinking I RSVP. I turned to my office mate and friend Katie and asked if she wanted to join me. She agreed. I dont know what we were thinking. First off- it was 9 pm. WAY past MY bedtime. Lets remember- I have a 9 month old who is prone to waking in the night and my sleep is precious....so precious almost nothing keeps me up past 8. Not even my beloved Greys Anatomy. So when Katie agreed I said she COULD not absolutely NOT flake on me-I was not going to stay awake only to go by myself. She said she would go. The next dilemma was wardrobe. Now what does one wear to a hip hop class. Ballet class? CHECK! Black Leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes. Jazz class- well thats easy. Hip hop? Katie and I decided on a form of sweat pants, running shoes and tank top. I figured we were good to go. All afternoon I was a little nervous but heck dancing is like riding a bike right? You go warm up do a bit of run through on some choreography throw a little music to it, go through it a few times - done! Fun fun!

Here I am arriving at Katies house promptly at 8:30. I tell her we cant be late after all we have to scope out the place, there is nothing worse than arriving late to dance class. Since its been 15 or so years since MY last class, I MUST make sure I secure a place near the back, behind a girl that looks like she knows what shes doing and close to the door. She agrees.

We arrive to the standard note on the dance studio door- we are also the first people there...mmm I wonder about our attire- and our foot choices...what DO people wear to a hip hop class??

Here are our shoes...not so street are they? Well you cant say we didnt try!( Notice how well worn mine are Katie? I think you need to get out and do some running! Care to join me? I only live 2 miles uphill from you- hahahahah!!!)

Now when this chick came in we immediately noticed her. I had to snap a picture- I said to Katie- ah so THAT is how girls dress for a hip hop class. Notice the parachute pants- the hoodie sweatshirt? What you cant see is that shes wearing a black ball cap hung low over her face. And no those arent running shoes on her feet. I leaned over to Katie- okay we will have to get behind her- SHE LOOKS like she knows whats shes doing....

As soon as I snapped the above picture of the "cool" chick I told Katie she had to pull her sweatshirt up and try and fit in- well she tried dont ya think???
Well on to the good stuff....so we waited, and people started to move into the class, and no Tia...finally I got up and asked the receptionist if that was Tia's class and we were informed to go on in, that Tia wasnt going to teach and had a sub. Um----ok.
So Katie and I go in, and find a spot in the back, the teacher turns out to be the girl in the above photo and immediately starts into the warm ups. Which for lack of a better way of saying it- is beyond even my basic skills. I have no ability to move my hips in such gyrations(sps?) but I try. I keep glancing at Katie and every time I do so we burst out giggling....I take several steps away knowing I can only keep my composure if I keep my eyes glued forward. Again, arms, hips, legs, moving back and forth, side to side, - I am DYING! Im sure that I wont make it through class - I cant even follow the warm ups! Katie isnt fairing much better I have to say- and again I cant look at her- I burst into laughter every time I glance in her direction. Finally the warm ups are over- I think Ive worked out the jitters and I am ready- determined to get back on the bike and to take off. She starts off with the first 8 counts and goes slow...okay okay I can do this....look at Katie, shrug - we can do this...then we move into the next 8 count---um not so sure there is the little butt bump and little "crump" now im lost. Cant look at Katie. Start from the beginning and repeat the choreography. Okay muttle through 16 counts. Teacher" any questions? " I want to say" Um yes can we do it again, and again and go a little slower????" but of course I say nothing, and just pretend Ive got it all under control and get a little more panic filled with each passing second. Its 16 counts and heaven forbid without any MUSIC! Well 16 counts turns to 32 and now she says lets try it to music. 20 minutes later, several more tries to music and its clear Ill never catch on to BOTH the music and choreogrpahy together..im done. Totally lost and I turn to Katie, tell her Im out and grab my stuff and leave. Let me say this....in all my years in dance classes- TEACHING dance classes IVE never walked out of a dance class! Anyway Katie --- Shes close behind. After our departure from the studio we alternate between fits of laughter and possible tears of embarrassment as really- we are not bad dancers, we know this. I just realize that we need to start out in perhaps a basic class. I need someone to explain to me the basic of the booty shake before I can put it to the incredibly fast beat. Believe me I may be old-- but Im not THAT old!
Word to your Motha - Peace out!
4 comments:
That's so funny! I can't imagine you having such a hard time in a dance class...you were in Expressions! I am proud of you though. I took a Polynesian class at Debbie Davis's studio (that's right next to me) and I loved it. Then I got pregnant with Bryson and had to quit. I was devastated. Now there's a classical ballet studio that just opened (again...right next to me), and I just know they don't take "women" my age. I do miss dancing. It was our life. Okay, memories of the "Amazon" just popped into my head, better stop.
debbie davis came back to CA and has a dance studio? thats sooo great!
Nah take it from me...keep dancin! haha
That is hilarious! I wouldn't know what to wear either! You better tell Tia, she owes you one! Like a private lesson!
Awesome story, Amber. I'd love to have been a fly on that wall.
Post a Comment