Yesterday was truly heartbreaking. Khory called the day before to say that over Christmas Keeva wasnt feeling well and they took her to the vet. After running some tests it was determined that Keeva had Kidney failure. Options were to flush her system for over 300.00 dollars a day for 3 days and see if that improved anything or to put her down. After I talked with the Vet he said that she was very advanced in her illness and even if we did spend the money the outcome was bleak for a recovery, and we would have to put her down anyway. Khory and I discussed that we didnt want to put her through any proceedures that would prolong her life if she was suffering without a positive outcome. Yesterday I lost my baby.
(poem written by Jonathan...have to click on the picture to read...)
I had always wanted a Rhodesian...that being my breed of choice for many reasons....however when Khory and I were discussing getting a dog it took a while to convince him to pay for a pure bred dog vs picking one up at the pound. However I knew what I wanted, and I prevailed! :)
Keeva started out her life very sick. Her litter got Parvo( a very deadly disease for puppies) and spent the first few weeks of her life in the hospital. When we got her at 10 weeks, she was scrawny, tiny and very sick looking. She was "babied" at the breeders home, and we picked up right where they left off. She slept right next to our bed, sat on my lap everywhere we went( until she was too big) she was allowed on the furniture..she went everywhere we did- camping trips, friends houses...we were that annoying couple without kids, but thought our dog was our child. When we got pregnant with Elijiah she resumed her "dog" status, but always remained the "first born". I used to watch her with Elijiah in those first few days- complete indifference. She would walk on by with no care for the new addition and Im sure she was thinking " When is this THING going to leave??"
The bonding moment and when I knew everything would be okay, was a few weeks later. We lived near a dog park and were frequent visitors...I had Elijiah in his baby carrier and set him down next to me and let Keeva loose to play. Within minutes dogs were coming up to the carrier and sniffing at Elijiah. Keeva was across the park when she heard Elijiah whimper, and I could see her stop in her tracks, ears perked up, and she came racing over...she immediately put herself inbetween the carrier and the other dogs and growled. My heart melted as I knew these two would be fine.
Time went on and Keeva was a wonderful companion and protector. She was needy as always but I was okay with that. 4 years later as Khory and I divorced I had to leave her with him( as he got the house) and I promised that when I was able I would take her- after all it was I that wanted her in the first place :). That time came when Jonathan and I got married and moved to a house with a fenced yard. I was sooo excited to get my girl back. However much to my great sadness my Keeva wasnt the same. She had grown older, grumpier. Had a batch of puppies( to our surprise and delight-thanks Keeva for running off and getting knocked up! We thought to save you for another Rhodesian, but the black lab was a good choice anyway! Mojito, Max, and Chalka are wonderful!)
Anyway, while she was fine with us, she was a ferce protector, and mean to those not in her immediate circle. I knew I couldnt trust her around kids anymore, and she tried on several occasions to attack Jonathans family.( Ive written about that camping trip on this blog before). I called a breeder/vet and she said that most likely she was greatly disturbed by the divorce and change of "pack". Khory and I decided she should return to him as he didnt have additional children and that was her "home" The only one she knew.....I have babysat during the years, taken her as I could. Visited when possible. Everytime I come home slightly more sad as I wish she could be with us. She had a good life, a loving home, and Elijiah- her constant companion. I spent a good chunk yesterday going through her photos...her adorable puppy pics, her antics as an adolecent and time as she mellowed and became older. Ive only posted a few as these werent scanned and not the best quality. My plan is to collect everything I have, pick the best ones out and put together a photo collage, and put them on CD. Till then- some of my favs.....
I hope to see you again Keeva---Ill miss you always!
Mom and Keeva when she was about 4 months old
Days at the park with Elijiah
When I said I took her everywhere...I really did!
3 comments:
Awww, what a sweet dog and great memories! So sad - I'm sorry Amber.
Dogs are just the best. So sorry.
So sad:{ (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment