Sunday, June 7, 2009
Exhaustion from a sick child
As I write this I think to myself- do we really have a child that is a wuss? Perhaps - perhaps not... but I do know that exhaustion is not even close to describing the how we feel today. Tristan has indeed fell ill again, and with an ER visit today we know it isnt life threatening. It started Friday night with a screaming in pain and the thrashing around child and not sure what was going on..... His only consolation was laying on me causing me to get little if any sleep during the night..... His fever spiked for which we gave Tristan alternates of Tylenol and Motrin again, and assumed that it was the return of the molars that keep bothering him. Saturday morning came and Tristan was moody and irritable...not eating much and being very cranky. However it was Jonathans birthday( a separate post on that to come) and we had MUCH going on. We did our best to comfort Tristan but we had lot of things to deal with---( renters wise, bday wise, and a date night to come) so Jonathan and I left Bugs and Elijiah in the caring and capable hands of my mother and Layne for the afternoon and evening. We checked in throughout the night and it was apparent that he was still not eating much and needed a lot of TLC. However my mother continued to give pain meds and we just thought as before that he was teething. Upon our return around 10 pm that night however things got worse. Tristan would not sleep and was up every hour again on the hour but instead of letting me hold him and rock him, he was grabbing at his mouth, banging his head, screaming in pain, pulling at his PJs, running around the room, pulling at the bed, crying- then falling into a listless sleep. Finally at 3am I left our bedroom so Jonathan could sleep and I moved into Tristans room and this repeated until morning continuing to monitor his fever etc. He would calm down in short durations to sleep only after exhaustion set in, but I didnt sleep much more than minutes at a time as he was stuck upon my chest like a monkey and I was terribly worried. After refusing his morning bottle again and Jonathans suggestion of a bath which he crawled out of, we called the doctor and he suggested we take Tristan right away to the ER. However- this is where we would have longed for Jonathans brother Dustin to be around. For all the ER doc did was check Tristans ears- Clear, heart, - fine, mouth- he has a case of thrush. So Thrush is what has been causing him for 2 straight days to be I guess in inconsolable amounts of pain??? Who knows... So we are now treating him with medication for that and I am hoping tonight there will be sleep for the Bechtold Clan. I did get a nap this afternoon however its only 4 pm and I feel like Im walking around in the twilight zone. Not since the days of Tristan being a newborn and his Colic have I been this tired nor have I felt this helpless when our child has been in so much pain. Its truly odd to be up in the middle of the night sitting on the floor of the nursery with a baby running around you screaming in pain, hitting themselves, coming to you and there is nothing you can do but wait for them to get so tired that they collapse from exhaustion. Fun times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage
Noel
Tristan
Jett
No comments:
Post a Comment