I want to mention that I went to kickboxing last night. The first time since I was 8months prego. I thought that my running was getting me back in shape...not so much. I could barely walk OUT of class afterwards. Man if I could do that class more often, the lovely weight that is NOT coming off surely would!
I wanted to post about our night with Tristan. Im terribly frustrated. As many know, I love this kid. So so much. But when you have a colicky baby, life is hard. He has gotten 100X better believe me. He is generally happy but in my previous post I mentioned he is very demanding. I didnt want to post my complaints as I thought it was just a fluke but we are getting up more and more at night with him now and I need advice!!! Since he was about 8 weeks old he was more or less consistent with getting up once a night to feed. Then there was a several week stretch of not getting up at all. So he would go down at 7pm and up at 5-6am. Blissful. Over the last week instead of waking up once its now all during the night. One night at 12,1 then 5 am. The next night 2am and 5 am. And so forth. Now I think he has gotten in the habit of waking up to wake up because he knows we will feed him etc. It cant be because he is hungry. He doesnt NEED to eat. He takes forever eating so I know hes not starving.
Heres what I did last night. It was Jonathans turn, so he was up at midnight then 1am. When Tristan woke at 5 I decided that even though it wasnt my night I would get up because I was sure Jonathan was exhausted. So at 5am, I went in got Tristan fed and put back to bed. He was asleep. The minute I laid down in bed I heard him start talking. This prompted me to go back to his room. I look down and as usual he rolled over to his back and as soon as he saw me he smiles a big ol smile and starts his flapping. Well Im not happy. Im not falling for his sweetness yet. I pick him up to turn him back over on his stomach and start the patting process. Hes screaming now, crying, this last for 10 minutes till I stop patting his bum and he rolls on his back, sees me and again- big ol smile and the limb flapping begins. So the process starts over...me putting him on his stomach hoping he will fall back asleep( I know he was tired his little eye lids kept creeping down) and the screaming, wailing and crying begins. An hour and half people this cycle continues. I knew he was fed, dry, burped, tired. But he refused to go to sleep! Towards the end I would stand far enough away from the crib to see him but not have him see me and at 6:30am he finally conks out. I fall back to bed and 45 minutes later guess what??!!! TRISTAN IS AWAKE! I know there is no more sleep so I get up and what do I see? My beautiful smiley boy happy and oh so ready for the day!
Any ideas? Tricks of the trade? Do I just let him cry it out- not get him- so he knows that he will just have to self sooth and get back to sleep? Do I give in to his 2-3x a night waking and eating? ( I personally think its creating some terrible sleep patterns and habits) Am I wrong?
7 comments:
remember that book, babywise? I think it would be good to look it up. It gave me good ideas. did this start happening around the change of sitter? maybe what their schedual is is conflicting with what you do.Maybe he wants more play time before bed? love ya tons. trial and error sorry.
If I got lots of personal attention and loving every time I cried ... I'd probably cry more often. :-)
Sometimes tough love is better in the long run.
I tried the babywise approach in the beginning...its the schedule thing, I did it with Elijiah- TOTALLY worked. Not with Tristan tho...and its really hard. Perhaps a new try at would be good.
I agree when Tristan gets what he wants why would he stop doing it??but my gut says the same, the tough love.
just thinkin' outside the box, but, why not let him stay on his back? Seems to be happy when he is facing up, cries when you turn him over... Am I missing something?
I personally think you can't spoil a baby. You do whatever makes him happy, he's not trying to use "mental games" on you at this age. He just really needs his mom and dad. He wants you around as much as possible. He'll get more confident and sleep better when he realizes you will always be there for him :)
It may be bad advice, bit if you survive it...put him in your bed next to you. We did it with one of ours and we enjoyed the cuddles. I think she has turned out fine.
Thanks you guys!
Post a Comment