Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Shhh know about THE SECRET??!!!

Ok, so I know LOTS of people are die hard fans of the "secret". Read the article below and then Ill continue on my rant: DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DONT BE OFFENDED SECRET FANS! or try not to be......
*******************************************************************************
You haven't heard of The Secret?" gasped an obnoxious woman at a party. "Have you been hiding in a cave?"

"Apparently," I replied.

"It's a book," she continued. "I've read it three times. And I watched the DVD four times. I go to the Website every day!"

I felt like whispering to her, "Psst! The Secret is that you have too much free time." Instead, I nodded, half-listening, as she raved about how the book had transformed her life — and in just two weeks!

My initial instinct was to call The Secret a crock and forget about it. But I was curious. Googling confirmed that my party companion wasn't the only obsessed fan; millions of copies had sold within months. So I decided to buy the book. I have principles, after all — I couldn't trash something I wasn't fully acquainted with. I'd read it. And then I'd trash it.

The Secret turns out to be mostly a series of quotes from author Rhonda Byrne's panel of experts, which includes a "personal transformation specialist," a "trainer in the field of mind potential," and a "visionary." I was 10 pages into the book when I decided it had to be a parody. Or a comedy. Except, you know, not funny.

I'll save you the $23.95 and sum up The Secret in three sentences: Your thoughts are magnetic. Think positive thoughts, and you'll attract wealth, health, and love. Think negative thoughts, and you'll attract poverty, illness, and loneliness. (Guess I shouldn't have grumbled to myself about the book.)

As The Secret explains, "You are like a human transmission tower, transmitting a frequency with your thoughts." What's more, it continues, the universe follows the Law of Attraction, and "like attracts like, so when you think a thought, you are also attracting like thoughts to you." Ergo, to be happy, just think happy thoughts. The book's experts suggest counting your blessings and "wrapping every thought in love" in order to connect with the "strongest positive frequency in the Universe." If you're feeling blue, you're supposed to reverse the negativity with "secret shifters," such as hold­ing a baby, playing with a pet, listening to a joyful song, or watching a funny movie.

The power of love? The benefit of positive thinking? All this hype over a message about as enlightening as a Hallmark greeting card? I was underwhelmed. But I kept going.

The book offers readers a plan for "manifesting" — making dreams a reality. "The first step is to…let the Universe know what you want.... Step two is...[to] claim the things you want by feeling and believing they are [already] yours [i.e., visualize your wish coming true]. When you do that, the law of attraction will powerfully move all circumstances, people, and events for you to receive," which is the third step. Basically, you just wait for your wishes to be granted. That's right: like magic.

**********************************************************************************

The article goes on to describe this persons month long journey into living "The secret"...she writes about the ups and downs and her processes. Her bottom line- nothing here that no one already knows.

I have to agree. I cant tell you how many people I have run into lately that are on this new kick. That believe this is the answer to all lifes problems and if we truely live this then all will be fine. But can I just say- DUH? If we think we are dumb we are. If we have negative thoughts, of corse I would behave more negatively! If I make an effort to improve on something in my life why would I not get better or see results? Ive always been a believer in "what goes around comes around". The golden rule. ETC ETC and on and on. Someone actually had to write a book about it, sell it and all of a sudden this is a phenomenon? Give me a break. I wish I thought of writing this book Id be RICH!!!! My co-worker mentioned to me this concept of the secret and I listened, learned.... I mean heck whatever works for ya, but I thought to myself, isnt this something you learned in Kindergarten? And the most interesting thing about this whole thing is mostly these individuals I know that have latched on to this concept are religious. So where is someones faith, belieft in prayer, and answers and direction from said prayers? Divine Nature I would think plays into some of this for these individuals doesnt it? And what about personal testimonies....much of what is taught in the Secret is also taught in sunday school, perhaps however I shouldnt poke fun. Whatever works to make people better in life then have at it....lets be honest I did IMPACT when I was young and thought it was life altering. So to each their own huh?

4 comments:

Salt H2O said...

Fabulous post, it confirms that- most Self-Help books are secularized versions of the scriptures.

My friend was telling me about the secret and my response was- So it's Faith, the big secret out there is to have Faith? Shoot, could have saved yourself 18 bucks and taken that free bible from the Gideons.

Jessica R. said...

It sounds like it has all the makings of a cult.
In the meantime I'm going to go pretend my old car is the gorgeous new one I've been wishing for and see how long the new one takes to materialize. ;-)
Or maybe I should just wish that new job into being!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I'm so sorry to hear that you'll have such a short leave. That really bites.

Jaynann said...

Great article. I thought it was hilarious and right on. I totally agree with the author and you. It's an obvious principle that holds some truth as well as a scam that sounds like "magic" will cure all our woes.

I watched the Oprah when it aired "The Secret". I generally watch the entire show sauf commercials, thanks to DVR, but I have to tell you that I just stopped and deleted it in the middle because it was ridiculous...definitely something we learn in Kindergarten. I was so bothered with the authors.
Oh well...Another case of The Emperors New Clothes.

Jay

Benjamin said...

This is also "your Forces and How to Use Them", written by Christian D. Larsen , in about 1920...

I laughed histerically when people were crazy acting like this was exciting and new..

Elijiah

Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage

Noel

Noel

Tristan

Tristan

Jett

Jett