Tuesday, November 9, 2010
The homeless man
Ever since I have worked downtown I am keenly aware of the homeless around. I often give out my change, dollars and do the above and beyond for people if they catch my eye and are around enough. Over the last couple of years there is one very disturbed mental homeless man around my work. He walks around and around the block all weather/seasons. I have felt various emotions towards him- a bit afraid, sadness, anger...I decided a few months back that because this poor guy has nothing but a plastic sack to carry his meager belongings I would buy a backpack and give it to him. Yesterday was the day- I saw him standing out in the rain and snow literraly getting soaked and thought I should go now and buy him a few things and next time I see him give it to him. One of the girls I work with offered to come with me so we headed to the local target for supplies. She generously donated towards the pack, and drove around in the snow storm looking for this man to deliver it to. However he was no where to be found. THIS morning, I dropped the kids off and before I headed into work, decided to make the rounds around the block and I saw him. I stopped the car - jumped out and walked over to him and said " sir.." he took one look at me and shook his head no, said "no-no" and walked quickly in the other direction. Clearly he has been harassed, or was afraid of me? Or perhaps wanted no help, but he didnt even know what I was offering so I was slightly baffled. Do I go after him and try and explain I wanted to give him a few things? I just stood there for a minute and decided it probably wasnt really a safe thing to do, so I got back in my car and drove to work. So I now have a stocked backpack full of things that I know someone could use ....Ive decided a trip to the local homeless shelter is now in order and I can drop it off in the donation bin for someone else. Im kinda sad for homeless man though...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Elijiah
Toothpicks were all the rage
Noel
Tristan
Jett
No comments:
Post a Comment